I. Classification of Students

II. Admission

III. Non-Regular Admission

IV. Transfer Students

V. Foreign Students Transfer

VI. Cross-Registration

VII. Course and Program Policies

VIII. BASS Retention and Shifting Policy (As of June 6, 2018)

IX. Graduation Requirements

X. Second Baccalaureate Degree
XI. Commencement Exercises
XII. Transcripts


Undergraduate and graduate students are designated as regular and non-regular. Regular undergraduate students follow organized programs of study and comply with requirements which lead to the bachelor’s degree or undergraduate diploma/certificate. They carry the full semestral load called for by their respective curricula, and for registration and classification purposes are divided generally into freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors.

Non-regular students are: (1) non-degree students, with credits; (2) non-majors, with credits; (3) cross-registrants, with credits; or (4) special students, without credit.


The BA Social Sciences program admits UPCAT/UPCA qualifiers during the 1st semester of the academic year. Transfer students and UP Baguio students who would like to shift to the BASS program shall be governed by existing University/College rules and regulations.

No student shall be denied admission to the University by reason of age, sex, nationality, religious belief, or political affiliation.

Every applicant for admission shall undergo a thorough health examination. No person shall be admitted to this University who is found by the University Health Service to be suffering from dangerous, communicable, contagious, or infectious disease or who is physically unfit to take courses in any college of the University.

Every student shall, upon admission, sign the following pledge: “In consideration of my admission to the University of the Philippines and of the privileges of a student in this institution, I hereby promise and pledge to abide by and comply with all the rules and regulations laid down by competent authority in the University and in the college or school in which I am enrolled.” Refusal to take this pledge or violation of its terms shall be sufficient cause for denial of admission or summary dismissal.

No person who has not duly matriculated may be admitted to the classes. In exceptional cases, the University Registrar may, on recommendation of the Dean concerned, authorize the admission of a visitor to a class for not more than five sessions.

Beginning Freshmen

Graduates of accredited high schools may be admitted as freshmen on the basis of their

(1) application in the UP College Admission Applications (UPCA),

(2) weighted average in the first three years of high school, and (3) choice of UP campus and the quota for specific courses/colleges set by the University.

UP College Admission Applications (UPCA)

Due to the dynamic developments in the public health situation in the light of Covid-19, there is no final decision yet as to whether an admission test will be administered for intake year 2022-2023. Performance in the admission test and high school grades are the main components in obtaining the UP admission grade (UPG). In the absence of a college admission test, a composite of the final grades in Grades 8, 9, 10 and 11 shall be the basis to determine the UPG. Specific degree programs may request for additional requirements to qualify for admission if deemed necessary. To implement the policy of democratic access, UP also considers socioeconomic and geographic factors in its admission process.

For more information regarding the process and requirements of the UPCA, you can visit the UP College Admissions’ website.

Application forms and more information may be obtained from the College Secretary of the college concerned.

Holders of the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma/certificate may apply for advanced credits for certain projects they had taken. However, the total credits that may be granted including automatic credits shall not exceed 15 units per subject area.

Deferment of Enrollment

A qualified freshman applicant who for a valid reason cannot enroll during the semester originally applied for may apply for deferment of enrollment to the next succeeding semester by writing to the University Registrar. Such applicants must not take any academic college subject prior to enrollment in the University. The maximum period allowed by the University for deferment of enrollment is one year.

Beginning Foreign Freshman

A foreign OR Filipino applicant who has graduated or is graduating from a secondary school/home school abroad (i.e. international applicant) and has not enrolled in college may be admitted to the freshman class by automatic admission. Filipino students from Philippine high schools in the Middle East may also apply.

By Automatic Admission

An international applicant may apply for automatic admission if s/he meets the following requirements:

  1. Completion of a high school program in the country where s/he had secondary education (including the completion of a one- or two-year pre-university education in a country where such is a prerequisite for admission to a bachelor’s degree program); AND
  2. Qualifications for college admission by any of the following national or international foreign-administered examinations: the SAT, OR the General Certificate of Education (GCE) Examination, OR the International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB), OR other equivalent examinations approved by UP.
      1. SAT: (scores must not have been taken more than 4 years before application)
      2. GCE: 2 ordinary (O) level passes/GCSE/IGCSE and 3 advanced (A) level passes; OR
      3. International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma
    TOTAL SCORE12001270
    Critical Reading600

    Evidence-based Writing +

    Critical Reading

  3. In the case of an applicant whose native language or medium of instruction in the secondary school is not English, a minimum score (500 if paper based or 173 if computer based) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
  4. Application through automatic admission of international applicants must be submitted to the respective Office of the University Registrar of the constituent university of choice.


Non-Degree Students

A degree holder or undergraduate student who is not currently enrolled in any other institution of higher learning may be allowed to take courses for credit on the graduate and/or undergraduate level, respectively, provided that this student satisfies the appropriate requirements for admission to the University. He shall not be allowed to enroll for more than one semester, except by special permission of the Dean of the college concerned and the University Registrar.

Since he does not follow any organized program of study, a non-degree student is not a prospective candidate for graduation for any degree in the University.

Special Students

A mature student, even if he does not fully satisfy the entrance requirements, may be admitted as a special student and may enroll for such subjects which, in the opinion of the instructor and the Dean, he has the necessary information and ability to pursue profitably. He shall not be allowed to enroll for more than 9 units a semester or to register for more than two years, except by special permission of the Dean. Subjects taken shall be non-credit although his work may be reported at the end of each semester as “satisfactory” or “unsatisfactory.”


Transfer within UP Students from another constituent university who have completed at least 30 collegiate academic units may be admitted as transfer students subject to the rules of the admitting college.

Subjects cross-enrolled will not be considered for the purpose of meeting the unit requirement. UP students may transfer from one program to another within the college or may transfer from one program or college to another within an autonomous campus, subject to the rules of the admitting program.

Transfer from other Universities and Colleges

A student with previous college work wishing to transfer to the University must satisfy University rules indicated below on admission of transfer students. Deadlines for applications for transfer are set in the academic calendar for each academic year.

In general, transfer applicants may be admitted provided that:

      1. they can present at least 33 academic units with a general weighted average of 2.00 or better for all the collegiate academic units they have taken outside the University;
      2. they will have to complete in the University not less than 50% of the units required for their program, 75% if running for honors;
      3. if transferring to a second degree, must complete all professional courses and all third and fourth year subjects;
      4. the quota set by the Dean of the college concerned has not been filled up.

Requirements for Submission

New transfer applicants should submit the following at least one month prior to the registration period:

      1. an official copy of transcript of records (true copy of grades is accepted for evaluation purposes) from all schools attended;
      2. 2 passport-sized (2×2) photographs; and
      3. a non-refundable application fee of PhP100 for Filipinos (PhP150 for resident foreign applicants) or US$20 for non-resident foreign applicants.

If qualified, they should submit an official copy of their transcript of records and certificate of honorable dismissal before the University admission slip can be issued. If credentials submitted are confirmed to be spurious, admission will be revoked.

Validation of Advanced Credits

Admitted undergraduate transfer students with less than 66 academic units must validate all subjects they are offering for advanced credits at the rate of at least 18 units a semester from the date of their admission. Their admission will be on probation basis until they have validated or repeated, in accordance with the rule of validation of courses, all subjects taken outside UP which are required for their course. No one will be allowed to enroll in a subject the prerequisite of which, taken elsewhere, has not yet been validated, or repeated, as the case may be.

Application for advanced credits should be made on the prescribed form to the Dean of the college where the student has been admitted. The regular period for validation tests is set in the academic calendar for each academic year. There is no fee for validation tests taken during the period. A validation test may be held outside of this period with the consent of the department and the approval of the Dean and upon payment of a fee. A student transferee who possesses an Associate in Arts or its equivalent of 66 units of work may be enrolled without validation. Before a student is allowed to major in any discipline, however, the major discipline may prescribe additional courses up to 18 units of general education courses, and/or preparatory courses for the major.

The grant of advanced credits for courses which are completed in other institutions but which have no equivalent in this University shall be left to the faculty of the unit concerned.



Foreign students with credits for college-level coursework should meet the University requirements for transfer students.

A TOEFL score of 500, or 173 in the computerized form, is required of applicants whose medium of instruction in the school they attended is not English.

Applicants transferring from another Philippine school should secure a permit to transfer from DepEd.

Foreign freshman applicants who qualify under automatic admission as well as qualified transfer applicants may choose a degree program only from non-quota programs.

Requirements for Submission

Only properly accomplished application forms with all the requirements listed below will be processed:

      1. accomplished application form (UP Form No. 3.2);
      2. a non-refundable application fee of PhP150 for resident foreign or US$20 for non-resident foreign students in the form of a money order, cashier’s or manager’s check payable to the University of the Philippines;
      3. two copies of one‘s official transcript of records from each high school and college attended and official certifications, if any; for evaluation purposes, photocopies of records may be accepted provided that they are properly authenticated by the Department of Education or by duly designated authorities in the country of the applicant. Final admission will be subject to verification of documents submitted against original copies of credentials. Certified English translation should also be submitted, when necessary;
      4. course syllabus, school catalog and handbook of examination;
      5. two copies of certification from a reputable bank in the applicant’s country about his/her capability to finance the travel, educational, and personal and other expenses he/she is expected to incur in his/her studies in the Philippines;
      6. official TOEFL results; and
      7. copy of birth certificate or passport duly authenticated.

Credentials filed in support of an application become the property of the University the Philippines and will not be returned to the applicant.

Immigration Requirements

Foreign students may be allowed to enroll only if they have a student visa (9-f) or any of the following types of visa:

      1. 9(e), 9(e-1) or 9(e-2) – foreign government official or dependent
      2. 47(a) (2) – exchange fellow or scholar sponsored by an international organization
      3. 9(g) – pre-arranged employment (working/missionary visa)
      4. PD 218 – foreign investor
      5. 9(d) – treaty trader
      6. 13, 13(a) to 13(g) – permanent resident
      7. SRR V – Special Resident Retiree Visa
      8. SIR V – Special Investor Resident Visa


Within the University

A student who wants to register in another UP campus must fill out the cross-registration form. The total number of units of credit for which students may register in another campus in this university should not exceed the maximum allowed by the rules on academic load.

Full cross-registration in any other UP campus shall be allowed only when a graduating student that particular semester needs required subject/s which is/are not offered in the student’s mother campus or health reasons necessitating prolonged medical treatment.

NOTE: Units earned as cross-registrant in another UP campus are not counted towards the 30-unit requirement for admission as a transfer student to other UP campuses. Freshmen are not allowed to cross-register.

Additional UPB Policies on Cross-registration

    1. A student may cross-register only for a maximum of two semesters (excluding summer).
    2. He/she must be in good standing during the semester immediately preceding his/her cross-enrollment.
    3. He/she must not have been subject to any disciplinary action.

From Another Institution

Students who are registered in another institution and who wish to cross-register in UP must present a permit from their Dean or Registrar. The permit should state, in writing, the total number of units for which the student is to be registered and the subjects that he/she is authorized to take in the University.

To Another Institution

The University gives no credit for any course taken by any of its students in any other institution unless the taking of such course was authorized by the Chancellor. Such cross-registration may be authorized if the student is graduating and the course necessary for his/her graduation is not offered in UP in that particular semester. This written authorization is to be recorded by the University Registrar and should specify the subjects authorized. Courses taken outside the University under these rules need not be validated.



The Academic Year is divided into two semesters of at least 16 weeks each, exclusive of registration and final examination periods. A summer session of 6 weeks follows the second semester.


In general, courses in the lower division (freshman and sophomore years) are numbered 1 to 99; courses in the upper division (junior and senior years) are numbered 100 to 200; and graduate courses are numbered 201 to 400. Courses numbered 301 and above are generally courses in the doctoral program.


The unit of credit is the semester hour. Most classes taught at the University meet 3 hours a week; these classes carry 48 hours of instruction and 3 units of credit. Each unit of credit is at least 16 semester-hours of instruction in the form of lecture, discussion, seminar, tutorial or recitation or any combination of these forms.


For undergraduate students the academic load is a maximum of 18 non-laboratory units, or 21 units including laboratory, except in courses where the normal semestral load is more than 18 units.

However, graduating students with a very good academic record may be permitted to carry a heavier load in their last year. During the summer session, the normal load is 6 units, but in justifiable cases the Dean may allow up to 9 units.

On the graduate level, full-time students are allowed the normal load of 12 units or a maximum of 14 units. During the summer session, the normal load is 6 units. Unless there is prior approval from the Dean for a heavier load, a graduate student employed on a full-time basis is allowed an academic load of not more than 10 units in any semester, whether in formal courses or in thesis work.


The UP Language Policy provides for the development and use of the Filipino language while maintaining English as a global lingua franca. The Policy states that Filipino shall be the medium of instruction in the University at the undergraduate level, within a reasonable time-frame or transition period. Graduate courses of study shall be in English, though there could very well be graduated courses of study in which the medium of instruction is Filipino. English shall be maintained as the primary international language in the University to serve as its chief medium of access to the world’s intellectual discourse. [1021st BOR meeting, May 29, 1989]


Courses approved by the University Council as prerequisites to other courses may not be waived. However, in meritorious cases, a student who has previously enrolled and fully attended a course that is a prerequisite to another may be allowed to enroll and attend the latter course for credit, without having passed or earned credit for the prerequisite course.

No permission shall be granted except upon application by the student. The application shall be accompanied by a certification that the student had fully attended the prerequisite course from the student’s instructor in said course. The application, furthermore, shall be accompanied by a certification from the Director for Student Affairs that the student’s failure to pass or earn credit in the prerequisite course was not due to disciplinary action imposed on him.

Each college or school shall be authorized to grant the permission and shall act through a Dean’s committee which shall determine the merit of the application, said committee to include the College Secretary.

The student who is granted permission under these rules is required to enroll in the prerequisite course simultaneously with the course to which the former is a prerequisite, or immediately in the next semester.

The permission which may be granted under these rules does not apply to courses in the General Education Program.


A student may, with the consent of his/her instructor and the Dean, drop a subject by filling out the prescribed UPForm 26 before 3/4 of the hours prescribed for the semester have lapsed, and not later. Any student who drops a course without the approval of the Dean shall have his/her registration privileges curtailed or entirely withdrawn. If a subject is dropped after the middle of the term, the faculty member concerned shall indicate the date and the class standing of the student at the time of dropping as either “Passing” or “Failing” solely for administrative guidance.


Every substitution of subjects must be based on at least one of the following:

      1. when a student’s curriculum has been superseded by a new one and the substitution tends to bring the old curriculum in line with the new;
      2. when there is conflict of hours between two required subjects; or
      3. when the required subject is not offered during the semester the student needs it.

Every Substitution

      1. must involve subjects within the same department; if not, the two subjects concerned must be allied to each other;
      2. must be between subjects in which the subject substituted carries a number of units equal to or greater than the units of the required subject;
      3. must be recommended by the adviser and by the heads of the departments concerned.

All petitions for substitution must be submitted to the Office of the Dean concerned before 12% of the regular class meetings have been held. No substitution shall be allowed for any subject prescribed in the curriculum in which the student has failed or received a grade of “5,” except when, in the opinion of the department offering the prescribed subject, the proposed substitution covers substantially the same subject matter as the required subject.


Any student who, for unavoidable cause, absents him/herself from class must obtain an excuse slip from the Dean to be presented to the instructor concerned not later than the second class session following the student’s return. In addition, in case the absence is due to illness, a certification to this effect must be secured from the medical officer of the College.

Excuses are for time missed only. All work covered by the class during the absence shall be made up for the satisfaction of the instructor within a reasonable time from the date of absence. When the number of hours lost by absence of a student reaches 20% of the hours of the scheduled work in one class, he/she shall be dropped from the class.

However, a faculty member may prescribe a longer attendance requirement to meet special needs. If the majority of the absences are excused, the student shall not be given a grade of “5” upon being thus dropped; otherwise, he/she shall be given a grade of “5”. Time lost by late enrollment shall be considered as time lost by absence.


The work of students shall be graded at the end of each semester/summer term in accordance with the following system:

1 – 1.25Excellent
1.5 – 1.75Very Good
2 – 2.25Good
2.5 – 2.75Satisfactory

“4” means conditional failure. It may be made up for by successful repetition of the course, or by passing a re-examination. Students are given a grade of “3” if they pass the re-examination, “5” if they fail. Only one re-examination which must be taken within the prescribed time is allowed. If a student does not remove the grade of “4” within the prescribed time, he/she may earn credit for the course only by repeating and passing it. A grade of “4” given for the first semester work of a two-semester course shall be converted to a grade of “3” if the student passes the second semester part of the same course in the same academic year; if he/she fails, the grade of “4” which he/she received for the first semester work shall be converted to a grade of “5”.

The grade of “INC” is given if a student whose class standing throughout the semester is “Passing,” fails to take the final examination or fails to complete other requirements for the course due to illness or other valid reasons. In case the class standing is not passing and the student fails to take the final examination for any reason, a grade of “5” is given. Removal of the “INC” must be done within the prescribed time by passing an examination or meeting all the requirements for the course, after which the student shall be given a final grade based on his/her overall performance.

Clearing of Grades of “Incomplete” or “4” Examinations for the completion or removal of grades of “Incomplete (INC)” or “4” may be taken without fee: (1) during the regular examination period, if the subject is included in the schedule of examinations, and (2) during the removal examination period, viz., the period covering ten days preceding the registration in each semester during which case, the examination is taken at the time it is scheduled.

Clearing examinations may be taken at other times on the recommendation of the Dean and upon payment of the clearing fee. Students not in residence shall pay the registration fee besides the examination fee in order to be entitled to take the removal/completion examination.

There shall be a regular period for clearing grades of “4” and “INC” before the start of each semester. Such a grade may no longer be improved after the end of the third regular removal period immediately following the semester/term in which the grade was incurred. A grade of “4” received after clearing a grade of “INC,” however, must be removed within the remaining portion of the prescribed period for the clearing of the original grade of “INC.”


    1. No removal/completion examination should be given without a duly approved permit to take such examination (NO PERMIT, NO EXAM). The Office of the University Registrar will not accept any removal/completion grade without the accompanying approved permit for examination.
    2. The removal or completion grades and the date of the examination must be hand-written on the report of grades by the instructor.
    3. Removal/completion grades shall be submitted one week after the examination is given.

Change of Grades

A student who has received a passing grade in a given course is not allowed a reexamination for the purpose of improving his/her grade.

No faculty member shall change any grade after the report has been filed with the Secretary of the college or with the University Registrar. In exceptional cases, as where an error has been committed, the instructor may request authority from the faculty of his/her college to make the necessary change. If the request is granted, a copy of the resolution of the faculty authorizing the change shall be forwarded to the Office of the University Registrar for recording and filing.

Notwithstanding the foregoing provision and to avoid any injustice, the grade on a final examination paper may be revised by a committee of the Dean of the college if it should clearly appear, on the basis of the quality of the scholastic record of the student, that such grade is the result of an erroneous appreciation of the answers or of an arbitrary or careless decision by the faculty member concerned. Should the change of the grade on said paper affect the final grade of the student, the committee may request authority from the faculty of the college to make the necessary change in the final grade. The request for reconsideration shall be made within 30 days after the receipt of the final grade by the student concerned.

No student of the University shall directly or indirectly ask any person to recommend him/her to his/her professor/s for any grade in his/her class record, examination paper, or final report of grades.

Any student violating this rule shall lose credit in the subject/s regarding which such recommendation is made. The fact that a student is thus recommended shall be prima facie evidence that the recommendation is made at the request of the student concerned.


A leave of absence should be requested in a written petition to the Dean. The petition should state the reason for which the leave is desired and specify the period of the leave. The leave should not exceed one year, but may be renewed for at most another year. When not taken in two successive years, the aggregate leave of absence should not exceed two years.

For leave of absence availed during the second half of the semester, the faculty members concerned shall be required to indicate the class standing (passing or failing) of the student at the time of the application for the leave. No application for leave of absence shall be approved without indication of the student’s class standing by the instructors concerned. This, however, should not be entered in the Official Report of Grades. Students who withdraw after 3/4 of the total amount of hours prescribed for the course has already lapsed, may be given a grade of “5” if their class standing up to the time of their withdrawal is below “3.”

No leave of absence shall be granted later than two weeks before the last day of classes during the semester. If the inability to continue with classes is due to illness or similar justifiable causes, the student’s absence during this period shall be considered excused. In such cases, the student shall be required to present an excuse slip to the faculty members concerned.

Students who withdraw from the College without formal leave of absence shall have their registration privileges curtailed or entirely withdrawn.


An undergraduate student must finish the requirements of a course within a period of actual residence equivalent to 1 1/2 times the normal length prescribed for the course; otherwise, he/she shall not be allowed to register further.


Applications for readmission on the undergraduate level must be filed with the Committee on Admission, Readmission, and Student Progress for proper action and recommendation to the Chancellor. The deadline for such an application is set in the academic calendar for each academic year.


A student in good standing who desires to sever connection with the University shall present a written petition to this effect to the University Registrar signed by his/her parent or guardian. If the petition is granted, the student shall be given honorable dismissal. Generally, honorable dismissal is voluntary withdrawal from the University with the consent of the University Registrar or his/her representative. All indebtedness to the University must be settled before a statement of honorable dismissal can be issued. The statement indicates that the student withdrew in good standing as far as character and conduct are concerned. If the student has been dropped from the rolls on account of poor scholarship, a statement in such effect may be added to the honorable dismissal.

Students who leave the University by reason of expulsion due to disciplinary action shall be allowed to obtain their academic transcript of record without reference to Dishonorable Dismissal, provided:

    1. the students write an application;
    2. not less than one school year has elapsed after the effectivity of the expulsion decision;
    3. the parties concerned during the period of expulsion have not been involved in any untoward incident affecting the University, or been charged in court after the fiscal’s investigation; and,
    4. all such applications are subject to Board of Regents action.



To uphold academic excellence, facilitate quality instruction, and create a nurturing learning environment through proper program advising, the College of Social Sciences hereby promulgates the following rules effective Academic Year 2018-2019 and thereafter.

      1. BA Social Sciences (BASS) students must have a minimum cumulative weighted average of 2.75 for all courses in their major and minor programs including social science core courses.
      2. Excluded in the computation are the GE courses in the social science and philosophy domain (e.g. Ethics 1, Hist I/Kas 1, SAS 1, Hist 3/Philo 27/Soc Sci 30) except in the case of BASS History majors where Hist I/Kas 1 is included in the computation.
      3. Reckoning begins as soon as students enroll in any course in their major, minor or core curriculum and every semester thereafter. This is a requirement for students to continue enrolling for the first semester, second year of the BASS program.
      4. The last reckoning period of evaluation is the semester before the student only has the following units remaining in the curriculum (depending on the major and minor combination): BASS Anthropology = 24-33 units; BASS Economics = 21-33 units; BASS History = 24-30 units.
      5. A student’s cumulative weighted average is determined by computing his/her average at the end of the current semester to include grades in major, minor, and core courses earned in the previous semester/s within the reckoning period. Grades earned during the mid-year are included in the computation for the second semester.
      6. A student who fails to obtain a minimum cumulative weighted average of 2.75 shall be put on probation the following semester.
      7. A student who fails to reach the required minimum cumulative weighted average of 2.75 at the end of the semester during which the student was put on probation shall be disqualified from that major and/or minor discipline.
      8. Upon disqualification from a particular combination, a student may opt to retain the discipline where the cumulative average is at least 2.75. A student can only shift once in his/her major program and once in his/her minor program.
      9. For purposes of computation, an outstanding but not lapsed INC is computed as 3.0 until a completion grade has been recorded. All 4s and 5s are included in the computation of the retention average.
      10. For monitoring purposes, the students’ average in their major and minor courses shall be computed separately.
      11. Departments can impose additional conditions for the retention of their majors.

Additional departmental guidelines:

Department of Economics and Political Science

The following additional conditions for retention apply to all BASS Economics students admitted as freshmen in AY 2018-2019, and all Economics majors thereafter:

    1. When the student fails either Econ 101 or Econ 102, the student may continue in the discipline upon the approval of the Discipline faculty of the student’s formal written request to continue in the Economics program.
    2. When the student fails both Econ 101 and Econ 102, the student is disqualified from the Economics program.
    3. The student must have passed Math 100 before enrollment for the first semester, second year.


The College of Social Sciences allows shifting to majors and minors only once. MRR requirements shall be taken into account before the student shall be admitted as a shiftee to the BASS program.

Department of Economics and Political Science 

In shifting to the BASS Economics program, the following rules should be observed:

    1. If the student has not taken any Economics or Math courses prior to shifting, his UPCAT Math percentile score must at least be 60.
    2. If the student has already taken Economics 101 or Economics 102 prior to shifting, he/she must have obtained a minimum grade of 2.75 in his/her first take of the course.
    3. Upon admission into the BASS Economics program, the student will be placed on probationary status and must meet the following condition:
      1. To earn a minimum grade of 2.75 in Economics 101 and/or Economics 102 during his/her first semester of taking Economics as a major; or
      2. To earn a minimum average grade of 2.75 in all Economics courses during his first semester of taking Economics as a major.
    4. Students who fail to meet this condition cannot continue in the BASS Economics program.

In shifting to Political Science as a minor, the following rules should be observed:

    1. The student should get a minimum grade of 2.75 in Political Science 100 during his first semester of taking Political Science as a minor;
    2. If the student has already taken Political Science 100 prior to shifting, he/she must have obtained a minimum grade of 2.75 in his/her first take.

Department of History and Philosophy

    1. Shifting to BASS History is allowed only until the second semester of the student’s second year. To be admitted, a student must have a minimum grade of 2.5 in Hist I/Kas 1. A student who has yet to take Hist I/Kas 1 will be admitted provisionally, pending the satisfaction of grade requirement. Shiftees must obtain an average of 2.5 in all History courses taken in his/her first semester under BASS History so he/she can continue in the program. CSS Retention Policy applies after this probation period.
    2. Shifting to Minor in Philosophy is allowed after a student incurs a minimum average grade of 2.5 in the first semester of taking Philosophy courses. Previously taken Philosophy GEs shall also be included in the computation.

Department of Anthropology, Sociology, and Psychology

    1. On their first semester, students shifting to BASS Anthropology as a major and/or Psychology or Sociology as a minor are required to enroll in Anthropology 100 and/or Psychology 101 or Sociology 101 with the condition that they must obtain a minimum grade of 2.5 in each of these courses. Students who do not meet this grade requirement will not be retained in the program.
    2. In the event that an introductory course and/or any other upper level major/minor course has been taken (e.g. as an elective), the minimum grade requirement of 2.5 will be applied to the next courses taken immediately in the semester when the student shifted into the program.
    3. The grade requirement for minors offered by the other departments will be applied.


No student shall be recommended for graduation unless he/she has satisfied all academic and other requirements prescribed for graduation.

Candidates for graduation who began their studies under a curriculum more than 10 years ago shall be governed by the following rules:

        1. Those who had completed all the requirements of the curriculum but did not apply for, nor were granted, the corresponding degree or title shall have their graduation approved as of the date they should have originally graduated.
        2. Those who had completed all but two or three subjects required by a curriculum shall be made to follow any of the curricula enforced from the time they first attended the University to the present.

All candidates for graduation must have their deficiencies made up for and their records cleared not later than five weeks before the end of their last semester, with the exception of those courses in which the student is enrolled in during that semester.

No student shall graduate from the University unless he/she has completed at least one year of residence work which may, however, be extended to a longer period by the proper faculty. The residence work referred to must be done immediately prior to graduation.

No student who fails to pay the required graduation fee within the specified period set by the University Registrar shall be conferred any title or degree. Such a student may, however, upon request and payment of the necessary fees, be given a certified copy of credentials without specifying completion of the requirements toward any title or degree.

Students may file formal applications as candidates for graduation in the office of the Dean of their respective colleges. Failure to do this will require special permission from the Chancellor and payment of the corresponding fine.

Graduation with Honors

Students who complete their courses with the following absolute minimum weighted average shall be graduated with honors:

Summa Cum Laude 1.20

Magna Cum Laude 1.45

Cum Laude 1.75

provided that all the grades in all subjects prescribed in the curriculum, as well as subjects that qualify as electives, shall be included in the computation of the weighted average grade; provided further that in cases where the electives taken are more than those required in the program, the following procedures will be used in selecting the electives to be included in the computation of the weighted average grade:

    1. For students who did not shift programs, the required number of electives shall be selected in chronological order.
    2. For students who shifted from one program to another, the electives to be considered shall be selected according to the following order of priority:
        1. Electives taken in the program where the student is graduating will be selected in chronological order.
        2. Electives taken in the previous program and acceptable as electives in the second program will be selected in chronological order.
        3. Prescribed courses taken in the previous program which qualify as electives in the second program will be selected in chronological order.

In the case of students graduating with honors in courses whose prescribed length is less than four years, the English equivalent, namely, “With Honors,” “With High Honors,” and “With Highest Honors,” shall be used instead.

Candidates for graduation with honors must have completed in the University of the Philippines at least 75% of the total number of academic units or hours for graduation and must have been in residence therein for at least two years immediately prior to graduation. In the computation of the final average of students who are candidates for graduation with honors, only resident credits shall be included.

Students who are candidates for graduation with honors must have taken during each semester/trimester/quarter less than 15 units of credit, or the normal load prescribed in the curriculum in cases where such normal load is less than 15 units, unless the lighter load was due to justifiable causes such as health reasons, the unavailability of the courses needed in the curriculum to complete the full load, or the fact that the candidate is a working student. If a student has only 15 units remaining in his/her curriculum but one of the courses equivalent to 3 units is offered only the following semester, he/she must enroll in all the remaining 12 units during the current semester, as required of him/her. In this case, his/her chances of graduating with honors shall not be jeopardized.

To justify underloading, the submission of pertinent documents is required, as follows:

      1. For health reasons, medical certification to be confirmed by the University Health Service.
      2. For unavailability of courses, certification by the major adviser and copy of schedule of classes.
      3. For employment, copy of payroll and appointment papers indicating among others
      4. duration of employment.

It is the responsibility of the student to establish beyond reasonable doubt the veracity of the cause(s) of his/her light loading. Documents submitted to establish the cause(s) of his/her light loading, such as certificate of employment and /or medical certificate, must be sworn to. These documents must be submitted during the semester of underloading.


University Academic Awards At the end of the semester any undergraduate student who obtains a weighted average of 1.45 or better is given this honorific academic award. University academic awardees are listed in the President’s List of Scholars.

College Academic Awards

Any undergraduate student who, not being classed as a University Academic awardee, obtains at the end of the semester a weighted average of 1.75 or better is given this honorific academic award.

College academic awardees are listed in the Dean’s List of Scholars.

Additional Requirements for Honorific Awards

In addition to the general weighted average prescribed, a student must have taken at least 15 units of academic credit or the normal load prescribed during the previous semester; and, must have no grade below “3” in any academic or non-academic subject. Grades of “Inc” must be completed by the end of the semester. (The end of the first semester is the day before the registration for the second semester. The end of the second semester is commencement day.)

These honorific awards shall last only for one semester, renewable for the succeeding semester if the student meets the prescribed conditions.

Honorific awards do not entitle the holders to any tuition fee waiver, either partial or full.


Only one baccalaureate degree may be conferred at a time. A holder of a University of the Philippines bachelor’s degree may earn another bachelor’s degree upon the successful completion of at least 36 additional units prescribed by a discipline, after the previous degree.


Attendance at general commencement exercises shall be optional. Graduating students who choose not to participate in the general commencement exercises must inform their respective deans or their duly designated representatives at least ten days before the commencement exercises.

Graduating students who absent themselves from the general commencement exercises shall obtain their diplomas, or certificates, and transcript of records from the Office of the University Registrar provided that they comply with the above provision and upon presentation of the receipt of payment of graduation fee and student’s clearance.

Academic Costumes

Candidates for graduation with degrees or titles which require no less than four years of collegiate instruction shall be required to wear academic costumes during the baccalaureate service and commencement exercises in accordance with the rules and regulations of the University.


Student records are confidential and information is released only at the request of the student or of appropriate institutions. “Partial” transcripts are not issued. Official transcripts of records obtained from other institutions and which have been submitted to the University for admission and/or transfer of credit become a part of the student’s permanent record and are issued as true copies with the UP transcript.

Application for transcript of records should be accompanied by a student clearance. Clearance should be applied for immediately after the last semester/trimester/term of enrollment.